Gretchen Bernabei has taught middle school and high school for 34 years. After earning her B.A. at Southwest Texas State University, she has devoted her professional life to learning, developing, and sharing best practices, particularly through the National Writing Projects. A sought-after speaker, Gretchen has authored Why We Must Run with Scissors: Voice Lessons in Persuasive Writing (2001, Discover Writing Press); Reviving the Essay: How to Teach Structure Without Formula (2005, Discover Writing Press); Lightning in a Bottle (2003, Trail of Breadcrumbs); Sparklers: High Scoring Test Essays and What We Learn from Them (2007, Trail of Breadcrumbs); The Good Writer’s Guide (2006, Hampton-Brown/National Geographic School Publications); Crunchtime: Lessons to Help Students Blow The Roof Off Writing Tests and Become Better Writers in the Process (2009, Heinemann); The Story of My Thinking: Expository Writing Activities for 13 Teaching Situations (Heinemann, 2012); Fun-Size Academic Writing for Serious Learning (Corwin, 2013); Grammar Keepers (Corwin, 2014), Text Structures from the Masters (Corwin, 2016), Text Structures from Nursery Rhymes (Corwin, 2018), and Text Structures from Fairy Tales (Corwin, 2019).
For her work, NCTE honored her with the James Moffett Award in 2010.
She lives in San Antonio, Texas.
- 2019 workshops — Registration links are live! Click here to register!
- New Book! Order your copy of Text Structures from Fairy Tales today!
- Click here for our Menu of Presentations and Services!
- Click here to see our latest Trail of Breadcrumbs Newsletter
- Our **NEW** Trail of Breadcrumbs Implementation Model offers onsite, ongoing, in-depth training and implementation support.